Monday, February 16, 2009

Something Lost, Something Found.

I was awoken at 4 this morning by my pseudo husband telling me that the keys to his vehicle were missing and he was going to take my car instead. Which left me to deal with the mess when I woke up 2 hours later. Where were the keys and what was I going to do if I didn't find them? The last time I saw them they were...oh!...sitting in the very cute Urban Barn plate I photographed for my last post. So I loggeed onto my blog post from last nightnand sure enough there they were. I did my best sleuthing and deducted that the photo was taken between 8 and 9 p.m. so now all I needed to do was figure out what happened to them in the meantime? And all this before my first cup of coffee. Long story short, I found them in the enormous u-brew wine jug we keep in the livingroom for spare change. So after dumping our 2 lbs. of loose change, I got the keys and was off and running. But it just shows you the kind of life I lead: nothing organized, nothign ever in it's place. The fact that our tiny apartment has no storage to speak of and is kind of an agonizing dump with tiny closets, terrible blue-grey burber carpet and cigarette burned linoleum. Not to mention the other crazies in our building...yikes! So we went rental hunting after work today and say three places. They were all overpriced and one smelled of BO and cigarettes. Oh, Duncan, is this all you have to offer? Dejected, I came home and half-heartedly coninued my search on UsedCowichan. I found a one bedroom + den that sounded neat and modern but, alas, it really was a den and not a bedroom (re: small, windowless, and nary a closet in sight) so I guess we continue our search another day. But I will not give up hope. The smell of Spring in the air rejuvenates me. I have stopped reading the cheesy shopping novels and smutty romances that keep me warm in the winter and turn to thicker, heartier fare. Sounds the opposite of most people, but I am one of those people who love to hibernate in the shade of warm days, choosing to enjoy the summer in a cocoon of literature. Not that it is exactly summer here yet (it snowed for a few seconds today) but the air does have that special feeling about it that only the spring can bring. Some of my favorite Spring reads: Diary of Anais Nin (not for the faint of heart or people with no patience. For a taste of the time and for Nin, rent the movie about her, starring Uma Thurman as a young woman: Henry and June) The Great Gatsby (a classic that can be enjoyed by everyone) The Sun Also Rises (I dare you to read this book and NOT daydream of an exotic summer approaching) The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (maybe it will encourage you to do something off the beaten path this summer?) There are a million other cliched "great reads" out there that I could recommend that are all, truely, great reads; but sometimes your favorite books are those silly ones you pick up for $1 at the flea market and when aksed why you like them so, you can't quite put your finger on it. It just makes you think of something... Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment